Rolling subway strikes halted after gov’t meeting

The Buenos Aires City government has announced that planned rolling strike action on the capital’s subway lines has been called off by the ‘Metrodelegates’, after an emergency meeting between union representatives and the Labour Ministry.

«The strikes have been suspended for today and tomorrow. There will be a normal service,» Labour vice-secretary Ezequiel Sabor told reporters as the City official left the meeting with delegates.

Revealing that an agreement in principle had been reached after the D line was subject to a wildcat stoppage today, Sabor would only add that «talking things through was the sole action,» while further talks would take place next Wednesday.
The Subte and Premetro Workers Association (AGTSyP) had earlier announced a new strike that would have affected all lines tomorrow at distinct hours of the day.

Passengers of the D line of the Buenos Aires City subway, meanwhile, began their work week with unpleasant news this morning, as the AGTSyP protested against “arbitrary measures” from the subte licensee company Metrovías.

“The company has taken completely arbitrary measures in the past months,” AGTSyP’s Secretary General Roberto Pianelli said. “There have been persecutions and systematic violations to the collective labour agreement.”

Metrovías in its turn said that workers are “demanding that they hire people who do not meet the minimum qualifications as drivers”.

Meanwhile, the City’s C line ran a limited service until 10 am due to “lack of staff,” the company said. “In the C line we have a repair centre paralysed because they suspended five workers for five days because they went to donate blood for a relative,” Pianelli denounced.

Sanctions

Buenos Aires City Deputy Mayor María Eugenia Vidal condemned the strike and vowed to take «all necessary measures, including sanctions and salary deductions.»

She said the walkout was «completely unjustified» and part of the union’s «strategy of constant extorsion.»
buenosairesherald.com