Syrian forces have killed more than 7,500 civilians since a revolt against President Bashar al-Assad began, a UN official said on Tuesday, and Hillary Clinton, the top US diplomat, suggested the Syrian leader may be a war criminal.
The military again bombarded opposition strongholds, killing at least 25 people, Syrian activists said, though a wounded British news photographer managed to escape from the besieged city of Homs.
«There are credible reports that the death toll now often exceeds 100 civilians a day, including many women and children,» UN Under-Secretary-General for political affairs Lynn Pascoe told the UN Security Council.
«The total killed so far is certainly well over 7,500 people.»
Syria’s government said in December that «armed terrorist groups» had killed more than 2,000 soldiers and police.
As world dismay mounted over the bloodshed, France said the Security Council was working on a Syria resolution and urged Russia and China not to veto it, as they have previous drafts.
Secretary of State Clinton told the US Senate it could be argued that Assad is a war criminal, but said using such labels «limits options to persuade leaders to step down from power».
French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe had said on Monday it was time to refer Syria to the International Criminal Court and warned Assad that he would face justice.
However, Tunisia, where a revolt toppled a president last year, would be willing to offer Assad asylum if this would help stop the bloodshed, a senior Tunisian official said.
buenosairesherald.com