Ronaldo poised for leading 2014 World Cup role

Former Brazil striker Ronaldo has been invited to take a leading 2014 World Cup role and a formal announcement is expected in the coming days, a local organising committee (LOC) source told the press on Tuesday.
Brazilian media reported the former World Player of the Year and World Cup winner had already accepted the invitation.

Ronaldo was approached by Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) president Ricardo Teixeira, also head of the LOC, to take on an important role without this meaning Teixeira would step down from the latter position, the source said.

«Ronaldo was sounded out and now things are on course towards a decision in the coming days,» said the source, on condition of remaining anonymous.

«After a more political preparation stage, including the choice of the city venues among other things, now it’s time for another person to take on the role at the front of the committee.»

The 64-year-old Teixeira, who has led Brazilian football since 1989 and is also a member of world soccer body FIFA’s ruling executive committee, is being investigated by Brazil’s federal police on suspicion of corruption and money laundering.

He denies the allegations against him but the matters have raised questions about his suitability to remain in charge of organising the World Cup tournament.

Bringing in the 35-year-old Ronaldo, who since retiring from soccer in February has become a successful sports businessman, would put a football man of unimpeachable qualifications in and outside Brazil in the front line of World Cup preparations.
buenosairesherald.com